jueves, 23 de julio de 2009

UNIT 6: MODALS TO EXPRESS DEGREES OF CERTAINTY


  • For me is important to know that we have to use

MUST HAVE /HAD TO HAVE” + PAST PARTICIPLE

When we are speculating about the past and are almost certain.

For instance:

A: I am sure that I turned on my TV.

B: Do not worry. Your husband is here and he must have turned it off.


  • Also let me tell you that when we speculate in negative about the past we have two possibilities:

COULDN’T HAVE

CAN’T HAVE

Both have the same meaning.

For instance:

Oh! It is a disaster but my brother was outside yesterday, so he couldn’t have done it.

Or

Oh! It is a disaster but my brother was outside yesterday, so he can’t have done it.



  • When you are slightly less certain, you have to use

MUST NOT HAVE + PAST PARTICIPLE

For instance:

My uncle must not have traveled to Loreto.


  • In questions we use

    CAN HAVE/ COULD HAVE + PAST PARTICIPLE

    For instance:
    Could / Can that have discovered the penicillin?

    Vanessa Correa -
    AO4

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Nota: solo los miembros de este blog pueden publicar comentarios.