miércoles, 22 de julio de 2009

UNIT 2: PAST TIME

For me this unit was important because I had problems when I tried to remember when you use this grammar in the correct way but now I know that you only need to practice very hard in order to not forget it also I understand that you can use the present perfect to connect the past and the present. Furthermore, I realize that you use the simple past when you know that past time and you use the present perfect when you dont' have idea when the events happened.

Examples:
  • My father died on August 11, 1994. (Past Time - Definite)
  • Luis created an organization to save money for the poors. (Past Time - General)
  • I have lived in Rimac in a small house with my mother. (Present Perfect)
  • I have worked in Topy Top as a secretary since I finished my studies at Cesca. (Connect the present and the past)

Other examples:

  • I bought my own apartment in Jesus Maria a one year ago. (When you use the past time expression "ago" you don't use the present perfect)
  • Rosario used to play "lingo" and "mata gente". (Habitual action that was true in the past)
  • Every summer my family would travel to visit our relatives in Piura. (Events that ocurred regularly)
  • By the time my English courses started, I had applied for a visa. (Two past events to show which of them happened first)

Suley Balvin - ADV 4

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Nota: solo los miembros de este blog pueden publicar comentarios.