domingo, 20 de septiembre de 2009

SUBJUNCTIVES EXAMPLES

Using Subjunctive in Noun Clauses

Well I'm going to write some examples about this issue because I think It's not difficult to understand but is easier to get confuse. I would like to write a little definition about it, and I'll try to be the most understanding as I can.

We know that a noun clause can begin with:

1._ A question word:
- Where He lives
- Who the man is

2._ Whether or If:
- Whether She will stay
- If She will stay

3._ That:
- That He is inocent
- That She knows three languages

Also We have subjunctive clauses; A subjunctive verb is the simple form of a verb. Sentences with subjunctive verbs generally stress importance or urgency.

Example:
1. I suggest (that) He see a doctor.

Negative Form: not + simple form of the verb
2. I recommend (that) She not go to the movie.

Passive Form: simple form of BE + Past Participle
3. It is essential (that) children be told the truth.

When the main verb of the sentence is in past form, the verb in the noun clause is also in past form.
4. I suggsted (that) He saw a doctor.

Common verbs and expressions followed by the subjunctive in a noun clause:

advice, ask, demand, insist,
propose, recommend, request, + THAT + NOUN CLAUSE
suggest

essential, imperative,
important, critical, necessary, ITs + THAT + NOUN CLAUSE
vital


VICTOR GUZMAN MORI ... ADV 06