domingo, 20 de septiembre de 2009

infinitives and gerunds

Infinitives and gerunds

Some verbs can be followed only by infinitives, others only by gerunds, and others by either infinitives or gerunds.

examples of verbs and verbs phrases followed only by infinitives: appear ,decide , expect , hope , manage , need , pretend, seem, want, would like.

Examples:
I would like to play soccer every day

She hopes to go back at home soon

He decides to change his job for another one


examples of verbs and verbs phrases followed only by gerund: avoid,
be worth, cant help, consider, enjoy, feel like, have trouble, keep, mind, miss, spend (time).

Examples:

I feel like singing in a pop group

She enjoys playing pool with her friends

They have trouble eating fish in bad conditions


examples of verbs followed by infinitives or gerunds with no change in
meaning : begin, cant, stand, continue, hate, like, love, prefer, start.

Examples:

They began to encourage her

They began encouraging her


She hates to eat alone

She hates eating alone

d. examples of verbs followed by infinitives or gerunds with a
significant change in meaning: forget, go on, quit, regret, remember,
stop, try.

examples:

I regret telling him the secret (I wish I hadn't told him the
secret)
I regret to tell you that I just ran over your dog! (I'm very sorry but
i just killed your dog with my car)

The window-cleaners stopped to smoke.(They stopped cleaning the windows in order to have a cigarette.


the window-cleaners stopped smoking.(they dont smoke anymore)

I remember giving him the key (I remember having given him the key).

i remember to give him the key (i remembered to give him the key and i gave it).



jorge porras morales