miércoles, 26 de agosto de 2009

Unit 13: The Passive

The Passive Causative


In the passive form, there is usually no agent. The action verb is in the past participle, and the object comes before it:
Subject Causative (have/get) / verb Object / Past Participle (By+Agent)

We had our door fixed.

I always have my hair cut by André.



1. For the passive causative with the appropriate form of have or get+object + past participle


  • Last year I got my coat cleaned once.

  • You should get the car checked.

2. Use the passive casusative to talk about services that you arrange for asomeone to do for you.


  • I used to color muy own hair, but now I have it colored.

  • André is going to get his hair salon remodeled by a local architect.

Simple Past Causative

  • I had it done last week. (Someone did it for me)

Past Perfect

  • I had done it before. (I did it myself)

3. Use by when it is necessary to mention the person doing the service ( the agent)


  • This time she is getting her hair done by a new stylist.

4. Do not confues the expression to get something done ( to fisnish something)


  • I had a lot of homework. but I worked hard and got it done before 11P.M.

(I finished my homework before 11 P.M.)


Saby Chachi AO5F