miércoles, 26 de agosto de 2009

Unit 13: The Passive Causative


The causative is a common structure in English. It is used when one thing or person causes another thing or person to do something.

I had John fix the car.

(I arranged for the car to be fixed by John -- I caused him to fix it.)


I had the car fixed.

(I arranged for the car to be fixed by someone. We don't know who, so this is like a passive.)


The active causative structure

This is the basic structure of the active form, along with some more examples:

Subject + Causative verb + Agent + Action verb + Object

Susan had her brother do her homework.


The passive causative structure

In the passive form, there is usually no agent. The action verb is in the past participle, and the object comes before it:


Subject + Causative verb + Object + Action verb

We had our door fixed


Other causative verbs

All the examples above use the causative verb "have". However, many other verbs can be used in causatives. In the active form, som of these verbs require the action verb to have "to" before it. These are some examples of the most common causative verbs.


Verb + Meaning + Form of Action Verb


get + same as "have" + "to" form

let + allow + plain form



EXAMPLES

* I got Jae Won to pick me up in the car

* She got her hair cut.



* I'll let you borrow my bike.
[No passive form]




STUDENT NAME: JUAN CARLOS POZO QUINTANILLA

COURSE: A05F